Kennedy Kithinji owes the decision to do law to his father. Because of his quiet demeanor, he never imagined that he would have a career in litigation. He is currently based in our Nanyuki branch where he has represented clients in dispute resolution mechanisms both locally and internationally. His litigation experience is backed by his strong research background and legal drafting ability. He has also advised and acted for clients in matters of Commercial law, Conveyancing and Company law.
Kennedy’s practice areas include Banking and Finance litigation, Civil and Criminal litigation, Employment and Land litigation, Sports law, Defamation, Constitutional law, and Tax and Procurement law.
- Represented a tier one bank in recovery of a loan facility running into several Millions of Dollars
- Represented a leading telecommunications company in a trespass suit with a liability of over Two Million Dollars.
- Represented a devolved government agency in perfection of securities for mortgages and charges for over fifty staff with a fund value of over a Million Dollars
- Part of a legal team representing a UK based international shipping and logistics firm in a claim where the subject matter was in excess of over a Million Dollars
- Part of a team representing a foreigner seeking to reclaim properties illegally allocated to others. This involved obtaining interlocutory orders against fraudsters and seeking orders to revert ownership to the client.
- Successfully represented a top-tier bank in debt-collection in excess of over a Million Dollars
- Successfully represented a freight company in a suit for payment of debt in excess of Thirty Nine Thousand Dollars.
- Represented a local state corporation in various constitutional petitions that touched on compulsory land acquisition and compensation arising from the Standard Gauge Railway project.
- Part of a team representing a global construction company in multiple employment matters filed by casual workers. The total claim was in excess of over a Million Dollars.
- Part of the team that successfully represented former Athletics Kenya CEO before IAAF Ethics Board, in a matter relating to doping and anti-doping policies of the IAAF and Kenyan athletes.
- Part of the team that represented the respondent in a gubernatorial and the petitioner in a senatorial election petition filed following the August 2017 general elections.
- Part of the team that successfully represented a bank employee in a criminal matter where the client was accused of conspiracy to defraud the local bank of a Million Dollars. The matter involved an inter-banking lending transaction and the accused was acquitted.
- Part of the team that represented a Dubai-based company tendering for provision for development of tax systems for a state entity. The subject matter was in excess of Ten Million Dollars.
Education & Memberships
Kennedy holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa, a diploma from the Kenya School of Law and is a certified professional mediator. He is pursuing a Master’s degree in Business Administration. He does pro bono criminal matters ranging from sexual offences to murder and is a member of the Law Society of Kenya.
Kennedy plays golf for leisure. He holds that the game is a test of patience that where mastering the technicalities allow one to assert control. Golf is about discipline, focus and working smarter, traits he carries over to the workplace. He also reads widely, reflected in his understanding of the silent cues of practice; when to be aggressive and when to be conciliatory.