Punit is the co-founder and senior partner at GVA and takes pride in his client centric attitude. He takes interest in understanding the needs of his clients and finds innovative solutions to ensure the deal gets done.
His areas of specialization are Commercial Law, Corporate Law and Conveyancing with an interest in Infrastructure, Projects & PPPs. Corporate Law includes formation of limited liability companies and public companies, sale of shares and business, corporate due diligence, share subscription agreements and shareholder agreements with particular emphasis on advising on corporate governance and board set up. Commercial transactions and contract law include preparing and advising on general commercial law and contracts, sale of goods, hire purchase, joint ventures and agency contracts. Conveyancing includes agreements for sale of land, transfers with particular reference to the sale of sizeable developments comprising of flats and town houses, leases and tenancies, undertaking various loan agreements and financing transactions.
- He is currently advising a multinational energy company on its corporate structure and real estate agreements in Kenya.
- Advised numerous individual clients on the sale and/or purchase of land in various part of the Country, including carrying out detailed due diligence and advising on financing where need be.
- Advising a Purchaser in the purchase of properties to the value of Fifteen Million Dollars, conducting due diligence, advising on the contract and payments terms which included payments to several lenders for release of titles.
- Advising a client in the sale of their shareholding to an investment fund and negotiating the Share Purchase Agreement, guiding them on completion procedure and finally completion.
- Advising an international client on the winding down and successfully striking off their investment vehicles in Kenya.
- Advising numerous clients on all aspects of Company Law in Kenya, incorporating Companies, restructuring and their rights on receipt of investment funds and advising on Corporate Governance issues to ensure a productive and efficient Board of Directors.
- Advising a client on a corporate shareholder restructuring and Share Subscription and Shareholders Agreement to the value of Two Million, Four Hundred Thousand Dollars for compliance in a regulated industry.
- Undertaking numerous due diligences for investments and providing restructuring advice.
- Acting in the Sale and Purchase of numerous companies and providing advice, preparing the Share Purchase Agreement, Share Subscription Agreements and Shareholders Agreements and overseeing the completion formalities and successful closures.
- Acted for the Vendor in the purchase of the assets of ROM E.A Limited (under receivership) from PWC.
- Acting for a listed company in preparation of Leases for their airstrips and residential properties.
- Acting in the advice and restructuring of a listed company in the sale of their twenty-two properties equivalent to Twenty Million Dollars.
- Acted for various developers of real estate on joint venture investments, structuring of the development for sale of the units by long term leases, advising on the incorporation of management companies and overseeing all agreements involved therein.
- Acting for landlords of commercial and residential properties and preparing letters of offer and leases for multi storey buildings, residential houses, apartments etc.
- Advising an international client on its multi-million-dollar acquisition of a hotel in Kikambala Mombasa.
- Acted for one of the largest international large-scale Solar Power developer in the due diligence, acquisition and general advice on purchase of numerous parcels of land in Kenya.
- Acting for one of the largest international large-scale developer in the structuring of their corporate set up in Kenya which includes formation of various entities and general corporate advice.
Education & Memberships
Punit holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from Cardiff University and a diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He was previously the Chairman of the Board of Continental Reinsurance Limited (owned in majority by Continental Reinsurance PLC, a Pan African Reinsurer). He sits on the boards of several companies as legal counsel and in an advisory capacity. He is member of the Institute of Directors. He supports Earth Angels, a charitable organization for underprivileged children.
Punit is a family man. When he is not working out with his wife with the same fastidious determination reflected in his work, he reads widely with a predilection for fiction. He is well travelled in Europe, Asia, Africa and North America. These experiences have broadened his horizon and enabled him to bring to GVA, the world’s best practices including technology. He is a strong proponent of work-life balance and believes in a culture where one’s word is their bond, informed by family from his grandfather and passed on through his father. He is firm but fair, likes process and inspires a friendly but professional atmosphere within the office.
1. He has co-authored the Chambers Corporate Governance Guide 2020
2. He has been a contributor to enabling the World Bank Business of Agriculture 2019 Report